Sleep is an essential part of our daily routine and is important for our overall health and wellbeing. However, many people struggle with getting a good night's sleep, whether it's difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or getting restful sleep.
If you're struggling to get a good night's sleep, you're not alone. Insomnia and other sleep disorders are common issues that affect millions of people around the world. While there are many over the counter and prescription medications that can help, some people prefer to use natural remedies like essential oils to promote sleep.
Here are some tips to help you sleep better and how the use of essential oils can promote a peaceful night's sleep. Whether you're dealing with occasional sleeplessness or chronic sleep issues, these natural remedies can help you get the rest you need. Here's what you need to know about essential oils for sleep.
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts that are known for their therapeutic properties. When used properly, they can help to relax the mind and body, making it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
The essential oils that are commonly used to promote a restful night's sleep include:
- Lavender: Among the most versatile essential oils to use, Lavender essential oil is a great stress reliever thanks to its calming and sedative properties. Our oil is sourced from the pristine Provence, France. Both soothing, and rejuvenating it reduces anxiety, emotional stress and could aid in restful sleep.
- Chamomile Roman: Chamomile essential oil is another popular choice for promoting sleep due to its calming and relaxing effects, it can help you wind down before bed.
- Peppermint and Eucalyptus: Revitalizing & decongesting, help to relax, soothe the mind, clear congestion and improve breathing. All of which can make it easier to fall asleep.
- Sage: Sage essential oil is known for its calming, relaxing properties and is often used to help people relax before falling asleep.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood essential oil has a woody, grounding aroma that is believed to be soothing and calming, making it a good choice for promoting restful sleep.
- Ylang-ylang: This sweet, floral oil is known for its calming and relaxing properties and is often used to help people relax before falling asleep.
- Mandarin: Known for its sweet, citrusy aroma, Mandarin essential oil is calming and soothing. The aroma of mandarin oil relaxes the mind and body, making falling asleep easier. In addition to its sleep-promoting properties, Mandarin oil also has a mild sedative effect.
- Patchouli: This is a powerful mood harmoniser, Patchouli is known to be grounding and balancing, stabilising emotions, and relieving tension. Its musky, earthy and spicy scent has sedative yet stimulating properties.
- Ho Wood: Ho wood oil is derived from the leaves of the Ho wood tree, which is native to China. It's woody, with a floral aroma and is believed to have calming and relaxing properties, which contribute to its sleep-promoting properties.
- Vetivert: Derived from the roots of the Vetiver grass, which is native to India and Sri Lanka. Known as the oil of tranquillity for its deep smokey, earthy, woody aroma, Vetivert is relaxing, soothing, and calming, which may contribute to its ability to promote sleep.
- Bergamot: Bergamot essential oil has a refreshing and uplifting aroma, but it is also known for its calming effects that can help to promote sleep.
We recommend you use the below MADE BY ZEN oils and mists:
Lavender Essential: Add 3-5 drops to your aroma diffuser. Our 100% Pure Essential oil is extracted by steam distillation of the freshly cut flowering tops of the herb Lavandula Angustifolia.
Super Sleep Super Blend: Add 8-10 drops to your aroma diffuser. Our Super Sleep blend contains Lavender, Ho Wood, Vetivert, Chamomile Roman & Patchouli.
Sleep Essential Oil Blend: Add 3-5 drops to your aroma diffuser. A dreamy blend of Lavender, Mandarin, Patchouli, Sage and Sandalwood. Relax, calm and soothe the senses with the ultimate blend for sleep.
Super Sleep Pillow Mist: Spritz over your pillow, bedding or in the bedroom to bring inner calm, ready to unwind for a perfect night's sleep. A soothing blend of Lavender, Ho Wood and Patchouli to set the tone for your sleep ritual.
Here are other some tips to help promote a better night’s sleep:
♦ Establish a consistent sleep schedule. Try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. This helps regulate your body's internal clock and makes it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.
♦ Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Develop a pre-sleep routine that helps you wind down before bed. This could include activities such as reading, listening to soothing music, or taking a warm bath.
♦ Make your bedroom a comfortable sleep environment. Keep the room dark, quiet, and cool, and use a comfortable mattress and pillows.
♦ Avoid screens before bed. The blue light emitted by screens can interfere with your body's natural sleep-wake cycle. Try to avoid screens for at least an hour before bedtime.
♦ Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed. Both substances can disrupt your sleep patterns and make it harder to fall asleep.
♦ Exercise regularly. This is very important! Regular physical activity can help improve sleep quality. However, try to avoid vigorous exercise right before bed, as it can make it harder to fall asleep.
♦ Manage stress. Stress and anxiety can interfere with sleep. Try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga to help reduce stress to promote better sleep.
These tips can help to improve your sleep quality, so you wake up feeling refreshed and energized. Remember to be patient and consistent, as it can take time to establish healthy sleep habits.
It's important to note that the effects of aromatherapy on sleep can vary from person to person. And is not a replacement for other treatments or therapies for sleep disorders. Before using aromatherapy for sleep or any other health concern, it may be helpful to speak with a healthcare professional for further guidance.